RADON 101 – IT’S YOUR HEALTH…

Radon, a radioactive gas we breathe in on a daily…and no, it’s not “harmless”. Maybe you’re already an expert, but if not, take a few minutes to read this post!

Radon originates from uranium in the soil. When uranium breaks down, it produces radioactive gases called radon. Radon doesn’t produce any smell or taste, is invisible and dangerous, and it has always been there.

Not to worry, yes radon is all around us, but is only dangerous when it accumulates inside a building or living space. It infiltrates through cracks and openings in foundations, windows, loose pipefittings, floor drains and/or the sump system.

Inhaling radon over an extended period of time is a serious risk to your health. Tiny radioactive particles can get into your lungs, releasing chemicals that can damage lung cells. Every year, more than 3,000 Canadians die from lung cancer caused by radon.

Not many people know this, but radon is actually the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Generally speaking, it takes years before the damaging effects of radon begin to show.

Radon levels differ from regions of the country, but there is also no way to predict if a house’s radon level is dangerously high or not; one house might have normal levels while the neighbor has levels “through the roof”.  The only way to know for sure is to test for it.

All homes should be tested for radon. Especially if the home is about to be purchased! We’re thrilled to say we’ve starting the works in a Radon Testing Module. Soon to be available!

For more information concerning today’s blog or our home inspection training services, please contact us!