Summer’s still in full swing! In part 2, of this Summertime Home Maintenance Checklist, we look at everything “outside”! Maximize your home’s efficiency by following these few tips!
Outdoor Summer House Cleaning
- Mould and Mildew: Summer heat and humidity can cause mould and mildew to grow on the outside of your home. To remove it, scrub with a diluted bleach solution. Be sure to protect plants and shrubs before cleaning. Also consider trimming them away from the house to help prevent future mould growth.
- Air Conditioner Drain Line: To prevent water from backing up in your home, it’s important to clean the AC drain line regularly with bleach. If the drain does become clogged, use a wet/dry shop vac to remove the clog. Pour a cup of bleach down the access pipe to kill anything else that might be growing in there.
- Clean Grill: Summer also means cookout time! Get ready for summer barbecues by cleaning and repairing the gas grill. Scrub the grates with liquid grill cleaner, and clean the burners and covers with a wire brush. You can also use vinegar and aluminium foil to clean a grill. Use a toothpick to clean the holes on the burners to ensure even cooking.
- Inspect Crawl Space: Excess moisture in the crawl space under your home can cause mould, rot, and buckled wood flooring. Inspect the crawl space, floor joists, and any HVAC ductwork under your home for signs of moisture or condensation. Also inspect foundation walls for leaks or seepage. Make sure to cover the crawl space with thick plastic to prevent moisture from coming up through the ground.
- Patch Cracks and Holes in Driveway: Use concrete repair caulk or asphalt crack sealer to repair cracks in driveways. If your driveway is showing its age, you may want to pressure wash it, repair any holes, and then apply a concrete resurfacing agent or asphalt sealer to give it new life.